Tuesday 31 May 2011

Tennessee to Alabama



After my rest day Sunday I set off early in a mere 72F and cooling mist, for Manchester Tennessee. T Shirt and jeans as the day was going to reach the mid nineties. Burnside KY, and Route 27 was quiet and the road changed from a wide 3 laner, to a nice twister with plenty to keep me busy.
Within an hour or two it was 80F and climbed to 94 before the 314 mile day was up. My target for today was Manchester #12 and then on towards lucky #13 in Alabama.
Not sure where I was going, I got in behind a group of Harley riders who eventually stopped to get some shade. They quickly put me right and I ignored Helga (my nutty GPS lady), and once again ended up at a bikers favorite haunt, the Jack Daniels Distillery. To make the 92 degrees bearable I looked for a beer........ No, this is a dry town ! Lemonade???
Jack Danny but no alcohol for sale.......
Cheered up by a couple I met last Friday at Deals Gap, I set off once more and managed Manchester by three o'clock,,,, except it was only 2pm as I had passed the Eastern to Central time zone line, now that is strange. One side Eastern Time a step west and central time. You can arrive an hour before you left ! Result.
Still by 4pm eastern time I had managed to find no one in at Manchester TN as it is a public holiday weekend, took some pics and you guessed it, hit the road again. 5pm in Madison Alabama with 314 miles added I gave up and sit once again in AirCon bliss. Within a few days I hope to be heading north again via Ohio and Michigan.
Take a look at http://www.us129.com/ where pictures of every rider thru' the Dragons tail are listed. Thursday last week and about page 10-12 you will find pics of me hitting the dragon. (Tourers pages) I have ordered copies and will download them asap.
At last that universal question you ask a stranger..... " Oh Manchester UK, my friend 'fill in' lives there do you know him?" Only 6 million Manc's to choose from, in this case, NO.

See more on my facebook/roadtomanchester page

No comments: