Sunday 23 January 2011

1st ride of 2011

Despite the 'about zero' temperature on Wednesday, I taxed the GS, got wrapped up, and took a leisurely 100 mile spin over the pennines to Humberside.
The freezing fog that blanketed the Manchester area, was the result of the westerly direction that the weather front had come from. With no escape as the ground level climbs over the Saddleworth Moor, the damp air was going nowhere.
Once over the hill, and heading towards Yorkshire, the sun was bright, sky was blue, but my nose was too.
Even a hint of shutting my visor all the way down, was like someone filling my helmet with milk.
Even the neck and face buff I was wearing, did little to stop the chill factor on my nose, knees and toes.
Thank goodness for heated grips on the GS, for the first time ever, I had them set on No2. (Scorchio).
After a great meeting (more on that later), I set off back, hoping to beat the M62 traffic around Leeds, and more importantly, the early night darkness and dropping temperatures.

Back over the Pennines, the fog was still a thick grey blanket that looked like a valley full of dirty sheep skins, from the top of Saddleworth Moor.
It was around 5pm when I got home, and despite the 'all motorway' trip of 200 miles, it was nice to get back in the saddle.
Roll on spring and the USA leg of the Road2Mancheser. Follow me on Twitter @Road2Manchester or Facebook Roadto Manchester

Note to me: GET SOME BETTER SOCKS.

No comments: